Twice-Cooked Beets in Chianti Glaze
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- 8 2 1/2-inch-diameter beets, trimmed, scrubbed
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), trimmed, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups Chianti or other dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss beets with 2 tablespoons oil in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Roast beets uncovered until tender when pierced with knife, about 1 hour. Cool beets slightly, then slip off peel. Cut beets into quarters.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté until translucent and tender, about 12 minutes. Add beets to skillet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté 5 minutes. Add Chianti and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until wine almost evaporates and glaze coats beets, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add butter and stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and serve.