Mashed Potato Cakes with Green Onions and Sesame
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 3 medium), unpeeled, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
Cook potatoes in large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender when pierced with knife, about 40 minutes. Drain. Cool slightly. Peel potatoes. Cut potatoes into large chunks and place in medium bowl. Add 1/2 cup green onions, 1/4 cup cilantro, 2 garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons ginger, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mash potatoes until well blended. Mix in egg. Form potato mixture into eight 2 3/4-inch-diameter patties, each about 3/4 inch thick. Place potato cakes on platter. DO AHEAD: Cakes can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon oriental sesame oil over both sides of each potato cake. Sprinkle both sides of potato cakes with sesame seeds. Heat canola oil and remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, add potato cakes to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
Divide potato cakes among 4 plates. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro and serve.